|The VGEC Board met with the Annual Conference Host Committee in Atlanta in April, 2017|
Photo by Bill Monk - firstname.lastname@example.org
By Darin Herndon, 2017 Nominations Committee Member, email@example.com
As you undoubtedly know, time is drawing near for the 29th Annual Conference in Atlanta. That means it is a good time to look at the Guild's leadership for the future of the VGEC.
The terms of these three board members expire this year:
- Terry Hughes
- Michael Sanchez
- Scott Smith
The Nominations Committee is seeking up to six nominations from the Guild membership to fill the three open positions.
The VGEC Bylaws are closely aligned with the structure of a parish vestry. This provides for all members of the board to be elected at-large and for the board to subsequently decide individual responsibilities and positions. So remember, we are electing board members and not officers.
When elected, a board member serves for three years and may be elected to serve not more than two consecutive terms.
General Board qualifications and responsibilities
- Must be a member of the VGEC in good standing (a current membership).
- Comfortable using and learning technology: email, Google G-Suite (Gmail, Google Drive, Google Docs), Trello, video conference and collaboration tools, etc.
- Virtual attendance at monthly/semimonthly online board meetings (using join.me and freeconferencecall.com).
- Physical attendance at Annual Conferences.
- Serve on one or more of the Guild committees as chair or as a liaison to the board.
- Attendance at mid-year board meeting, preferably in person, but online is acceptable.
- There is no monetary compensation for board activity participation. Expenses for conference, board meetings, etc., are the responsibility of each board member.
- Nominations are due to the Nominations Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than the 1st day of August 2017.
- All nominations must be seconded by another member of the VGEC.
- The nominee must consent to the nomination.
- You may nominate yourself but a second is required.
- Nominations must contain a publishable two to three paragraph biographical sketch.
- Nominees are expected to make a “not-longer-than two minute” presentation about themselves at the Annual Meeting either in person or online (not a video production).
- A nomination for the board from the floor may be made by submitting the candidate’s name to the chair of the Nominations Committee no later than thirty minutes before the start of the meeting.
- The Nominations Committee will review all nominations and present a slate of not more than six individuals to fill the three positions on the board. The VGEC membership will be notified at least thirty days prior to the start of the Annual Meeting.
Please submit your nomination(s) to the committee at: email@example.com by the August 1st. deadline. Contact us at this address if you have any questions.
The 2017 VGEC Annual Conference will take place in Atlanta, Georgia from October 12th through October 15th. We hope you can join us! Click the big red button to register today. You can also read more about the conference and book your hotel.
Editors note: Send ideas for Vergers Voice topics to firstname.lastname@example.org
Abstract: Three board members will be elected at this year's VGEC Annual Conference in Atlanta. Now is a great time to start thinking about the Guild's leadership for the future of the VGEC. Read about the qualifications of serving on the VGEC board and the process for nominations according the the bylaws of the organization.